Acute and Chronic Pain Management
Customized and Comprehensive
What is Chronic Pain?
Having pain is a common experience for older people. The extent to which pain disrupts daily routines may get worse with age. Pain is often poorly evaluated and managed in older people. There is no reason to suffer silently with persistent pain as you get older. You deserve adequate pain management that improves quality of life, and conserves the ability to perform your daily activities.
Proper assessment including appropriate imaging such as CT scan,and MRI,and optimising your analgesics is part of our program to improve your quality of life. We can do appropriate referrals whenever needed for interventions such as steroid injections and nerve ablation.
We can also guide you if you are interested in trying medicinal cannabis for your chronic pain.
How is Chronic Pain Diagnosed?
Chronic pain is evaluated by reviewing your symptoms and medical history, and identifying the underlying causes.
What are the Treatments for Chronic Pain?
An individualized treatment program is then designed, and holistic care is provided by a team of specialists. Pain can often be managed without resorting to narcotics or surgery. Chronic pain can be addressed with:
- Physical therapy: Includes passive modalities such as hot and cold packs, ultrasound, electrotherapy, TENS, laser therapy and active methods such as stretching, strengthening and cardiovascular exercises
- Medication: Includes both prescription and non-prescription medication
- Nerve blocking agents: Injecting substances that block the nerves that transmit pain impulses
- Alternate treatments: Therapies such as acupuncture, biofeedback and hypnosis
- Surgery: May be indicated for certain conditions
- Psychological counselling
- Ketamine Infusion
- Trigger point injection
- Radiofrequency Ablation
You will also learn to make positive lifestyle changes that prevent and minimize pain.