What is Homoeopathy?
Homoeopathy is a safe, natural system of healing that uses tiny quantities of certain plant, animal and mineral substances to relieve symptoms and improve overall health. This medical system originated in Germany in the 1700s.
The principle of Homoeopathy is ‘Like Cures Like’ i.e. a substance which causes symptoms in a healthy person can be used to treat an illness associated with similar symptoms if the triggering substance is taken in small amounts which is believed to trigger the body’s immune system.
Who is a Homoeopath?
A person who practices homoeopathy is called a homoeopath. A homoeopath may or may not be a medical doctor. It is recommended that you consult a certified and experienced homoeopath.
Conditions Treated by Homoeopathy
Homeopathy can be used to treat various medical conditions such as:
- Menstrual problems
- Cold and cough
- Tooth problems
- Stress and anxiety
- Weak immune system
Benefits of Homoeopathy
Homoeopathy has the following benefits:
- The medicines are environment-friendly
- They are generally safe with no side effects
- Active ingredients are highly diluted
- They are affordable
How are Homoeopathy Medicines Prepared?
Homoeopathic medicines are prepared using standardised products and techniques. The common procedure involves:
- The plant or animal product is cleaned
- The mother tincture is prepared with alcohol and water (specific standards are followed)
- The tincture is further diluted and shaken strongly.
- Dilution increases the potency of the medicine and varies with different types of medicines.
The medicines are prepared as tablets, pellets, liquid drops, gels and creams.
Administration of Homoeopathic Treatment
The treatment differs as per your underlying condition. General treatment involves the following:
- Your homoeopath will obtain information about your medical history, the duration of illness, your lifestyle, occupation, dietary habits etc. A record of this information is maintained.
- Homoeopathic medicines are prescribed as per your symptoms. You must consume the medicine as directed.
- You may be asked to change your lifestyle and diet.
- The medicines are prescribed for a specific duration after which you must revisit for an evaluation.
- Your homoeopath prescribes the second set of medicines as per your changed symptoms.
- You may require additional visits for more effective treatment.